Friday, October 19, 2007

Soggy start to the weekend

Hey, Mark the Litter Guy here.

It's was a soggy start to the weekend of Oct. 19th. Which for someone in my occupation usually means 2 things, the streets are empty of people but filled with litter. You may think you can't have one without the other, but for some reason when it's raining or even worse snowing, people tend to litter a lot more despite fewer people walking around.

However, today's mounds of trash were mainly the result (oddly enough) of city cleaners armed with their power washers. While it's great to remove the layers of posters that accumulate on poles and other places, throughout the city. (I know, as several times I've removed 2 garbage bags full of moldy paper from a solitary pole)

It was tough not to become frustrated as I trekked down Queen Street only to stop every few feet to pick up the scattered remains of soggy posters unceremoniously left behind, which wouldn't be a problem if a fellow city employee came by sooner or later to pick the scraps up. But by my past experiences, I know that said scraps are left to the wind until arriving at it's final resting place, a gutter or neighbourhood yard.
So if the city wants to create a new job that needs doing, I wouldn't mind the benefits.
I should state that all was not bad, (aside from this dang cold) despite the gloomy weather, most people were verbally appreciative of my efforts.

Oh yeah, if by some miracle an Ashley Young who lost her credit card on Queen St. West today reads this, I dropped it off at the Bank of Montreal near Dundas & Spadina.

Well, that's all for now, but I'll keep you all updated soon enough.

Later
Mark the Litter Guy.

No comments: