Friday, October 19, 2007

Introduction

Hello,
My name is Mark.
Although some have affectionately called me Trash Dude, Garbage Guy, Litter Man, most know me as The Litter Guy.

For a bit over a year, I've been cleaning the streets of Toronto in exchange for donations. Throughout this time, regardless the varied outcomes, at the end of the day, there has always been one constant, the positive response from the vast majority of those I've encountered. Whether in the form of donations, words of encouragement, or helpful hints towards my ultimate goal of setting up a project to expand upon and encourage others to partake in this endeavour of putting the shine back on Toronto.

A loose idea of this project would have a set place where the taking in of garbage bags, gloves, sign, materials, donations, and other necessities, could occur and then be supplied and distributed to the members involved.
Areas of the city could be divided up on a daily basis with those involved daily getting a stipend at the end of the week, while the daily donations would be a form of tip.
It would however be essential to keep availability open for those that for whatever reasons only partake once a week, month or other irregularity as this could really benefit summer travellers in need of a few bucks while giving back to the city.

As for this blog, it will split into two parts for now.
The first which is here, will be titled "The Filth and Littering of the Concrete Trails of Toronto" (RIP H.S. Thompson) which will include my daily encounters and experiences on my route cleaning up Toronto.

The second, titled "These Littered Thoughts of Mine" will be composed of opinions, ideas and dialogue.

1 comment:

Josh Rachlis said...

This is a great idea! I saw you cleaning up the sidewalk on Queen Street West during Nuit Blanche and I was very impressed and inspired. Myself, I'm always picking up trash wherever I go and recycling it. It's a good feeling to know that I'm not alone. Keep up the great work!