Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Power of Encouragement

Man, it never ceases to amaze me how much power can be held in a few positive words of encouragement. I'm sure the modern boss is well aware of these facts but you just can't under estimate sincerity.
This weekend was definitely proof positive that a little appreciation of ones hard work and effort really does ease the burden.
Now, momentary ego boost aside, when the wages I make change as quickly and drastically as the weather, to know that my effort aren't blindly ignored is important for their continuation .

Take Saturday for example, while half way through the day, I was working for about $4 an hour (not exactly much to pay the bills with) when these two young mothers with children in tow sought me out specifically so their kids could thank me for what I was doing.
Now I don't know where these cockles of ones heart exactly are, but I was sure warmed right down to them, and definitely had an extra spring in my step the remainder of the weekend.

You see even though I'm well aware that it's my choice and my choice alone that I keep doing what I do. The only way something like this works is with community cooperation in its varied forms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark - you're doing an awesome job! I hope this weather didnt get you too down man!
-ADH