Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Last Days of '07

Hello there citizens of Toronto and beyond, it's your friendly neighbourhood litter guy here updating you on my activities.

Sorry, it's been a while, but lately life has decided to play ping pong with me, so what I'll do is recap what's been going on with me since last you heard from me. The week leading to the New Year started off brimming with optimism as on Christmas day I decided to give Toronto a present of being able to have a filth-free trudge through the city streets on their way to the day's festivities.
While the day may have left my pockets almost as empty as when I started, the pleasant demeanour of those I ran into left me feeling rather wealthy after my 5 hours of work. Although when I came to the corner of Queen West and Spadina I was greeted to the sight of a line of people out the door and a little beyond at the local McDonalds, I guess a turkey dinner can't measure up to the Big Mac for some folks. All in all considering the quiet nature of the streets, not a bad day.

The next two days though could only be described as complete and utter chaotic capitalism with the mass of humanity converging on downtown and the subsequent refuse left behind had me filling garbage bags at a blinding pace. Oddly enough though, while these two factors usually bring forth a profitable day (lots of people plus lots of garbage times elbow grease equals profits) it just wasn't to be. While I suppose it wasn't a complete financial disaster, for the most part people were more concerned with filling their shopping bags. Although with that said, due to the noticeable absence of city street cleaners, my services were greatly needed.

The next few days leading to and including New Yeas Eve while not very eventful were steady and for the most part fulfilling, leaving me with lots of optimism for the New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

I met you a few weeks ago on Queen near Shaw and told you I wanted to help by getting some ideas from a friend of mine who works in the Development sector.

I'm sorry for the delay in contacting you but I have a few ideas and I would like to speak with you soon. I hope you still have my card. Please contact me when you can and I will fill you in.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bethany